17 February 2026, 6:52 PM

People who visited Byron Bay last week are advised by Northern NSW Local Health District to be alert for signs and symptoms of measles after they were notified of a confirmed case who was infectious while visiting several locations in the Byron Bay area.
People who attended the following locations should watch for the development of symptoms. These locations do not pose an ongoing risk.
Monday, 9 February 2026
Tuesday, 10 February 2026
Wednesday, 11 February 2026
Friday, 13 February 2026
If it has been less than 6 days since the exposure at these locations and you are pregnant, have a weakened immune system or have an infant who was exposed, you are advised to contact your local Public Health Unit on 1300 066 055.
There is currently an increased risk of measles in NSW, with 18 cases confirmed since 1 January 2026.
Regional Director of North Coast Population and Public Health, Dr Valerie Delpech, said anyone who visited the above locations at those times should monitor for symptoms.
“Measles is a vaccine-preventable disease that is spread through the air when someone who is infectious coughs or sneezes,” Dr Delpech said.
“Symptoms to watch out for include fever, sore eyes, runny nose and a cough, usually followed three or four days later by a red, blotchy rash that spreads from the head and face to the rest of the body.
“Anyone with early symptoms who gets a rash a few days later should also think about measles, even if they haven't attended one of the identified locations, and seek testing.
“It can take up to 18 days for symptoms to appear after an exposure, so it's important for people who visited these locations to look out for symptoms up until 3 March 2026.
“If they develop symptoms, they should call ahead to their GP or emergency department to ensure they do not spend time in the waiting room with other patients.
“We want to remind the community to make sure they are up to date with their vaccinations. The measles vaccine can prevent the disease even after exposure, if given early enough.
“Anyone born after 1965 needs to ensure they have had two doses of measles vaccine. This is especially important before overseas travel, as measles outbreaks are occurring in several regions of the world at the moment."
The measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine is safe and effective and is given free to children at 12 and 18 months of age. It is also free in NSW for anyone born after 1965 who hasn't already had two doses.
Children under the age of 12 months can have their first dose of MMR up to six months early if they are travelling overseas. Parents should consult their GP.
People who are unsure of whether they have had two doses should get a vaccine, as additional doses are safe. This is particularly important prior to travel. MMR vaccine is available from GPs (all ages) and pharmacies (people over 5 years of age).
For more information on measles, view the measles factsheet.
People can also visit the Australian Government Smart Traveller website for information on health risks, including measles outbreaks relevant to their travel destination
If you, or a loved one, is experiencing measles symptoms, or have questions about measles, please call your GP or Healthdirect on 1800 022 222.
DENTISTS/DENTURES